A smarter and more intelligent electric grid holds the promise of greater system reliability, new opportunities for customer interactivity, increased energy efficiency, additional renewable resources, and other benefits to utilities and consumers. Getting from here to there is a serious challenge facing all types of electric utilities.
Schneider Engineering, Ltd. (SE) can help utilities navigate the entire spectrum of smart grid issues by working with Clients on a strategic planning process that takes account of the Client’s distribution system, current system control capabilities, current metering infrastructure, and other relevant information. Our experience with all types of utility engineering, distribution automation, demand response and SCADA, combined with knowledge of energy efficiency / conservation and renewable energy projects, uniquely positions SE to provide Smart Grid planning solutions.
SE can help Clients answer the following questions:
- What does Smart Grid mean to my utility?
- How does Smart Grid relate to distribution automation?
- Can I start a Smart Grid project before an AMI system?
- What is the relationship between Smart Grid, energy management and renewable energy?
- What is the sequence to implement Smart Grid technologies and projects?
- How much investment will smart grid require?
- Will the benefits justify the investment?
SE’s smart grid planning process includes the following:
- A situation analysis of a Client’s current status and capabilities
- Review and understanding of regional and national programs / projects
- Detailed compilation of potential smart grid options and strategies along with a process that identifies “best practices” for utilities to review and consider
The result is a set of recommendations designed to move a utility forward in terms of implementing sound Smart Grid programs and projects. This process can directly lead to the development of grant proposals for funding key elements of a Smart Grid implementation plan. A Smart Grid Strategic Plan will provide a road-map for success and ensure responsible and effective investments in smart grid programs and projects.